Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Passing On The Torch

We watched him failing.

First with each month.

Then with each week.

And then with each day.

We agreed it was time.

Time to bring a new dog into our home.

Time to Pass on The Torch.

We took a trip to the dog breeder.  Into a barn and to a stall where the door was slid open and a waterfall of baby Chocolate Lab puppies spilled out.

I remember how heart breaking it was to be on this trip and how laughing at the attempt to keep all those puppies inside the stall felt good.

We were told us there was one other dog.  A 3 month old - inside the house.  Perhaps we might be interested in looking at him?  We agree.

Left alone we focused on getting the babies back into the stall, content to look through the bars at all those adorable puppies.

Suddenly something flashed past the barn door.

Once again it flashed past the door going the opposite direction.

We walked to the barn door and looked out to find a 3 month old puppy running free as the wind.

The love of life and joy of being free were apparent on his face.  J, my husband looked at me and asked me what I thought.  I pointed to that glorious, happy dog and said, "That one".

The Torch had been chosen.

We brought the youngster home.  C, our daughter, J and I sat down to name him.  Out of the blue C said, "How about Hank?"  We all laughed and agreed.

Hank would carry on The Torch.

Tucker's days were getting short and he was uncomfortable.  Yet he was gentle with Hank.  We watched with wonder as Tucker showed Hank around the property.

He knows.

The day to say goodbye to Tucker came too quickly.  With tears on our faces we returned home to Hank and found comfort in having him there to greet us.

The Torch had been Passed.

  Where do the years go?  So many balls and sticks...

And vacations...

Last night I dreamt Hank left us.  In my sleep I remember sobbing.  This morning I awoke to find him sleeping next to my side of the bed...something he hasn't done for a long time.

He knows.

We watch him failing.

First with each month.

Then with each week.

And now with each day.

We agreed.

It is time.

 Time to bring a new dog into our home.

Time to Pass on The Torch.

No comments:

Post a Comment