Thursday, November 15, 2012

You Are What You Eat

Two weeks tomorrow and Prince and Bob are the very best of buddies.  They eat and drink together (out of the same side of the feeder or stock tank). 

My husband says in the (very) early mornings when he goes to feed, he finds them standing together inside the loafing shed, side by side, brother's in arms.  Judging from their droppings, they apparently spend the night inside the shed where they are safe, dry and warm.

Prince is still 'coming back'.  I swear every time I check on that horse he's eating - and that's good.  Prince is making up for a lot of lost time because as good as the pictures look he's still undernourished and needs more weight.

I am having such fun watching and caring for Prince and Bob.  It's such a joy to have two horses at home again, especially two who are as close as these guys.  I feel as if our world which was turned upside down last December, is once again complete.  But...

There's a problem.

Prince was attacked by his former owner's stallion, which she let into the pasture with Prince and allowed to beat the "you-know-what" out of the poor horse.  (Nice person, huh?) 

The bites along his spine (not pictured here) are growing back hair (it's a miracle he wasn't paralyzed).  But this ugly bite on his left side, right where the saddle will ride, has been a challenge.  Every day I clean and medicate the bite.  Prince is a good patient and although we are making progress and the sore is becoming smaller, the progress has been slower than I expected. 

It's started to worry me.  I wondered if I should call the Vet.  No, I told myself - it's healing, it's just so s-l-o-w in healing.  I wondered if I should change my meds.  No, I tell myself - the meds are working but the bite was severe and it's going to take time. 

I trust my intuition.  It's going well but not going as well as it should.  And tonight I found out why when I finished doctoring Prince and placed him back in with Bob.

As I was closing the door to the hay stall I happened to turn around to see Bob turning from Prince's left side and licking/raising his nose and lips to the ceiling.  I went into the stall and sure enough the medication on Prince's wound was gone.  What was left was a very wet, licked area.

Now I know why the wound is taking so long to heal.  Bob is playing Doctor.  And unfortunately I must take immediate action to resolve the issue.  Tomorrow I will separate Bob and Prince until Prince's wound is closed up and no longer requires medication. 

Bob is NOT going to be a happy camper. But I guess nobody ever told him that you are what you eat...


  1. That is so funny! Hopefully the medicine isn't anything that is bad if ingested? Maybe it tastes good! I'm glad you caught it...I just think that is so funny! Poor guy with all the bites though :(

  2. I don't know if this will help or not, but one of my horse got bit up pretty bad back in Sept. His hair is just now starting to come back. It took a very long time to heal. I think when the bits go deep enough to get througha couple of layers of skin it just takes a while.
    What a sweet Boy Bob is for trying to help.
    I don't know what you are putting on the wounds, I used some stuff called natures edge. Its all natural and works wonders!