Friday, October 26, 2012

Day 3 With Bob

I want to start this Post by thanking those of you who have joined me on this journey with Bob.  You have no idea how much your responses mean to me as we head down this trail.  Knowing you are there supporting me makes the journey much easier, so thank you!

It's Day 3 after Bob's injections and things are quieting down.  I've been up to the barn to hand walk him twice today, each time for 15 minutes as the Vet has prescribed. 

Being stuck in a stall all day, I find Bob wanting to step out ahead of me on our little walks (and I can't blame him).  But I also can't allow him to get away with that because I need to be the one in charge.  So a sudden stop, a little backing up and a stern look in his eye resolves the issue.

It's then a peaceful time for the two of us as we take our little walks and I've found myself wondering why I haven't done this more often in the past as well as committing to doing more walks together in the future.

I've decided to go with a different Shoer for Bob and called my "old" Shoer today to tell him my decision.  The people who help us with our horses become family and I feel badly about moving on.  But this is something I must do on the journey to bring Bob back.

My replacement Shoer is someone I've known for many years and who I always stop to say "Hi" to when I run into him at the barn.  I've used him in the past - along the many years of various horses we've owned, boarding at different barns, etc.  My Vet recommended him because they have worked other 'projects' together.  I'm comfortable and confident about the decision. 

I feel like I've started a sports franchise.  My family, our Vet and Shoer have formed a team.  We are all committed to seeing this through and winning the season, no matter how long it takes.



3 comments:

  1. Lucky Bob. Sounds like he has a committed "team".

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photo! Your analogy is spot on, it is like forming a team - one that works together. Switching care providers is never easy, but it's up to us to make a change when it's not right. Best wishes that Bob's healing process keeps going in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture of you and Bob! I am praying for Bob's "Team" to get him well again, so the two of you can ride as one!

    ReplyDelete