Sunday, February 28, 2010

Show Time!

I'm planning on attending a horse show next Sunday, March 7th.  This will be my second horse show, my first show being last October, see my posting entitled First Horse Show, October 28. 

This show will be a bit different.  It will be a full day of Western classes with a Trail course also set up.  Hero Trainer advised me at my lesson last week that I should enter the Walk/Trot Trail class for Novice riders.

Champ has had experience on a trail course but it's all new to me.  So last week most of my lesson was spent on trail challenges, including cones and trotting over poles as well as a pinwheel of poles (easier than it looks)!  I also backed through L-shaped poles.  It was a lot of fun.

I'm going to do a few things differently at this show:

1.  I'm going to dress better.  I dressed for WARMTH at the October show, and although March will still be cool, I won't wear the huge green vest that I wore at the previous show. 

I'm not skinny gal (although I've almost lost 15 pounds since I retired).  But that vest puffed me up like a huge green marshmallow.  I think it hid my equitation and frankly, it just wasn't becoming.  Not sure what I'll wear instead but the green vest it OUT.

2.  I'm not going to ride in as many classes as I did at the last show.  Although I placed in all but two of my classes, it wasn't about placing, it was about riding in my first show.  Now that I've done that I'm going to pick and choose which classes I ride in and challenge myself to ride better. 

3.  I'm not going to drill Champ this week.  I'll continue to mix it up, giving him different jobs to do each day and continue the relaxing rides we've been taking after we finish our work. 

For instance, tomorrow I'm confiscating my husband's last Christmas present - a steer head attached to an ice chest.  Inside the chest are two ropes.  Hero Trainer and I are going to introduce her horse and Champ (and further what little I know of it) to roping this week.  Should be fun - and that's what it's all about.  

4.  I may (I say may because I still want the option to decline), ride in my first walk/jog/lope class (the green rider class).  The ground work and mixing it up with Champ have brought us back together again as one unit.  Last week was the first time I'd loped since we went sideways in November and I found myself comfortable and back to enjoying this gait.

No matter what happens next Sunday, I look forward to having as much FUN as I did at my last show.  To me getting a ribbon is nice but it isn't half as special as being one with your horse, riding with your peers and just hanging out with friends and family.  To me, that's what makes a day like this so special.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Yay how exciting!!! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. Good luck and have fun preparing and picking out your show outfit. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck!! Let us know how you did, we will be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck at your show on Sunday! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sage Riders is having a TRAIL CHALLENGE Course on APRIL 24th. You should see about coming up for the event. Last year it was a blast. It was our first year last year at putting it on. This is our second year, and I think it will be a hoot! It is located in UMATILLA, OREGON

    ReplyDelete