Monday, December 17, 2012

Horse People/House People

I've been missing.  Why?

Well....

I'm horse people.

I have never been house people.

While my girlfriends talk about what accent color to paint a wall, I'm thinking about what kind of saddle pad will look best on my horse.

Yes, I am Horse People, not House People.  Yet...

Right before Thanksgiving our daughter who has been living with us since she graduated from college raised an issue.  It was about the wallpaper in our house.

When we moved here seven (can it be that long?) years ago we KNEW we were moving into an outdated house.  But being Horse People, I looked OUTSIDE the windows.  Of course I knew the wallpaper was ugly but the rolling pastures outside the windows made up for it.

This year C put her foot down and challenged me about the wallpaper, specifically in our living room - looking pretty bad these days since Tuna started using it for a scratching post.

C said she'd give me her time and labor if I'd work beside her.  The goal?  Get it done before the holidays; (i.e., her annual Holiday Party).

I took her up on the challenge and early on the day after Thanksgiving:

This may look like paint but it is beige wallpaper, which asks the question why in the world didn't they just PAINT the walls beige instead of covering them?  The wallpaper extends inside the window frames of all five living room windows.  In this picture C is about to start the project - the steamer she used is on the table to the right (and was a great tool).

As she starts to remove the paper I start my part of the task.  My job was to pick up and bag all of the pieces she pulled down (ugh)!

This wall was fun (for me).  I got to rip the first layer and she removed the rest.  Unfortunately, my height was a bit of an issue...
 
Day Two sent us to the store to purchase paint.  That was kinda fun, getting to pick a color.  Once home C started the painting.  She did trim and I rolled.  We were quite the team.

On Day Three Husband arrived home from the cabin and helped us with spackling/patching.  But then...

My work crew disappeared, off to their 'real' weekly jobs, leaving me alone with a half finished room and loads of displaced stuff all over the house as well as a confused Tuna who couldn't figure out what happened to her scratching post.

What did I do the first morning after they returned to work?


Went into my Horse People mode, having a quiet morning cup of coffee and watching the horses (thru the fog) outside the living room window!  But truly, the week flew by and although I attempted to paint I found my part time job and horse care didn't leave me much time.
 
The following weekend dawned with All Hands on Deck and...
 
On week three we finished in time to get our tree and enjoy the room a few days before C's Holiday Party.
 
I will always remember the family that all pitched in and pulled together as one unit to bring out this room's beauty.
 
And although I may be Horse People, I'm thinking that maybe there just might be a little House People in me after all because I'm already thinking about the wallpaper in the family room.
 
Yet I revert back to Horse People quickly and easily.  My next post...some of you have been asking...an update on Bob and Prince.
 
50+
 
 
 
 



4 comments:

  1. I am with you if I had horses , so instead I am a nature person always out photographing nature ! Can be a house person every once in a while but I like to bring the nature in to my house as well ! Oh your place looks awesome great job ! Looking forward on your next posy of Bob & Prince .Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I totally understand where you are coming from. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! Enjoyed your post, and I had never thought of it this way. "I" am horse people too! I missed you and was just about ready to send a search party after you so good thing you posted today! :) LOVE your new room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The room looks amazing after all your hard work!
    Can't wait for the update. :)
    ~New follower

    ReplyDelete