Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Dream Horse

In late August 2012 this picture appeared on my phone.  The text accompanying it said, "Are you still looking for a horse?"  I had told so many people that I was looking for a horse to join Bob who was living alone at home that I had no idea who was texting me.

I replied with a "Yes.  Who is this?"  Response was, "Your Vet".

That started a conversation that led my family and I on a road trip to meet Rock on Hunter (Elvis) and his family.  Elvis, a five year old registered Appaloosa, had grown up in a Western Pleasure show barn.  However, his rider had decided he'd like to pursue Dressage and Elvis was relocated to the beautiful facility where we met him.

Dressage and Elvis didn't along.  The young horse had been trained to be slow not forward.  Poor Elvis had become sore from being asked to go forward and he flat out wasn't happy.  The Vet had been called due to his being sore and had recommended either time off or another "job" for Elvis.  As a result his family was considering all the options for Elvis, including finding him a new home.

When I'd first spotted Elvis in the cross ties I had walked straight up to him and put my arms around his neck in a hug.  This isn't something I usually do when I first meet a horse and to this day I can't explain what prompted me to take such action.  While I hugged him I felt him sigh and relax.  I found myself immediately in love.

We discussed Elvis's future with his owner.  I could see how much they loved him.  I could also tell how unsure they were about us.  Initially the conversation with a bit cumbersome, feeling like an interview.  But after a short period the walls came down and we were speaking to each other as friends.

The conversation ended with them telling us they weren't sure what they were going to do with Elvis and would get back to us.  But the young Appaloosa had impacted this family; he was all we talked about on the way home.

A week passed and I received an email from Elvis's owner.  The decision had been made, Elvis would be given time off in hopes he'd be able to return to Dressage.  We were disappointed.  As the days, weeks and months passed Elvis's name still came up in conversation at home.

In November 2012 we brought a rescue horse into our lives.  Prince, beat up and starving joined us as a pasture pal for Bob.  Life moved on with a new focus of getting Prince back to good health.

But I still had no sound horse to ride and found myself missing my barn pals and the world I loved.  I recall looking out the bedroom window late one January night.  It was a cold, clear starry night. Suddenly a shooting star streaked across the crystal sky.  I made a wish that someday I'd have a horse like the one I'd met in September 2012.

A few weeks later I received an email from Elvis's owner.  Elvis was back to work but Dressage was not for him.  He needed a new job and family to love him.  Would we still be interested in adding him to our family?  Would we!  And a few days later we were on our way to pick up Elvis.

Early spring moved to summer and summer now to fall.  And as you can tell I don't post as much as I used to because I spend my time with my boy.  Time has allowed us to get to know each other, inside and out.  Both of us are happy campers, we've already bonded to that intuitive level where we both know what we're thinking.  What a joy!

If I was to sit down and make a list of everything I ever wanted in a horse it couldn't come any closer to what I've got in Elvis.  As I tell friends and admirers, Elvis is my dream come true (or maybe that shooting start come true)?  Either way, Elvis is my Dream Horse.













5 comments:

  1. What a beauty. Looks like you got a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than finding your heart horse! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last picture! You look so wonderfully happy! I got chills reading your story, because I KNOW exactly what you feel and mean. Libby and I, after three years, have finally reached this bench mark! SHE IS my dream horse!

    ReplyDelete