Thursday, November 14, 2013

Mine...

I don't even know how to start this Post....I've always had a hard time writing about Elvis because...well...

How many people GIVE a horse they've invested in heavily, one that's healthy, well trained, kind hearted, registered, not to mention gorgeous to somebody else?  This just doesn't happen - but it happened to me.

Before Elvis arrived on that cold day in mid-February the owners and I had written up a contract.  I would agree to care and love him as much as they did.

 I did that.

I would allow Elvis the opportunity to run free in the fields and "be a horse"...

Elvis had always lived in a barn but I brought him home and helped him adapt to "being a horse". Elvis had never been in a field with other horses, he didn't know how the herd stuff worked.  I helped find his way, how to socialize and get along with the other horses (without being injured).  Elvis got to run free and "be a horse".

I have ridden, cared and loved Elvis as if he was mine.  And although my family and friends told me he WAS mine, there was still a piece missing that held my heart at bay.  What if his owners changed their minds and wanted him back?  I felt a need to protect myself so I denied that he was mine.

This past week Elvis's owner and I met at the barn where Elvis is staying through the winter. We revisited our agreements, the one's noted above and the one that says if I should ever decide I no longer want Elvis, he returns to them (like I would do that?)

And when the "meeting" ended, I had the missing piece that opened the doors of wonder, amazement and a huge feeling of being humble (plus many tears of joy).  This incredible, sweet, talented horse was now truly mine...

Mine...

6 comments: